How to Protect Yourself from Water Damage
Water can be a reason for causing damage to you house in form of flood or even as small as a leak under your kitchen sink. Dampness and wetness is caused by it which ultimately leads to growth of mildew and mould. These can cause diseases and allergic reactions such as nausea, headaches, dizziness, disorientation rashes, open sores, chronic asthma and fatigue.
Damage caused by water results in property loss and other tragedies also. If you live in flood prone area, then it is advisable to stay aware about all the aspects of damage caused by water and how to deal with it. It is strongly recommended to hire services of a company that deals with water damage. It can help you the face the problems created by water. Following points should be followed if you are affected by water damage:
- They extract water completely from your house, moisture readings and take photos. The furniture and other items are removed from the area to avoid damage. The unsanitary condition and a high humidity level can contaminate other materials of your house. Your belongings are relocated to a storage facility to ensure safety.
- If sewage overflow has caused the water damage to your house then you must remove all the items which are contaminated. This should be done to prevent diseases to spread. An expert could provide full assistance in advising you about the belongings which are safe enough to keep after proper cleaning.
- It is the root cause of ruining air quality, upholstery, wooden flooring, drywall etc. Hire a restoration company that deals in all these aspects and can dry floors, slabs and walls. See if they can lift and re-lay the carpets also perform any repairs if needed. Get your upholstery and air vents cleaned. You can search online for water damage repair Sydney based company that can help you to sort out all these issues.
- Due to excess rain, roofs of a house began leaking. Ask the restoration workers, if they can help you to fix the leakages.
It is important to note that water damage not only happens because of floods but leakages are also responsible for it. To avoid such situations you must get check and fix drips on a regular basis. You can follow these points to provide safety to your home:
- Find if there are any hidden leaks which are causing damage to the walls or flooring.
- Turn off all the taps in your kitchen and bathroom after use.
- Check under the sink or dishwater for any leaks. Carefully analyse your shower and tub for leaks.
While you are waiting for the restoration team, you must not try to do the cleaning yourself as that might create more problems for you and your family members. Try to follow these things:
- All the electrical appliances must be switched off and do not use any electronic gadget while standing on a wet floor.
- Do not try to remove water by using an ordinary household vacuum cleaner.
- Try not to lift carpets without professional help as these might get damage and shrink if not handled carefully.